Medical Weight Loss That Works [coming soon]
Evidenced-based and effective treatment options to help you achieve a healthy body weight is coming soon to Central Queensland.
Why is it hard to lose weight?
Managing weight effectively starts with understanding the cause!
- The genes you inherit from your family are a significant factor in determining your weight. The impact of genetics on weight is somewhere in the range of 40-70%. Your genes determine your set point of weight – a weight which your body will try to defend.
- Ghrelin, leptin and several other gut hormones help to mediate your hunger and level of fullness, which then affects the amount of food you eat.
- Complex factors such as the availability of high calorie foods, reduced levels of physical activity and increased levels of stress, depression and anxiety have all contributed to higher rates of obesity in our Western culture.
Weight loss that works
Evidenced by the latest medical research
- Low-carbohydrate diets
- Reduced-energy diets
- Meal replacements for rapid weight loss
- Special catering for specific dietary needs & referrals to our dietitian where needed
- Appetite suppressant medications to reduce feelings of hunger & cravings
- Assistance for those who struggle with emotional eating, anxiety and depression
- Exercise plans to help you increase your muscle mass and reduce your fat percentage
- Education modules to explain the science behind your weight gain, cravings and handy tips to maintain your body weight in the long-term
- Offer pre and post bariatric surgical care, where necessary
- Work closely with your regular GP and other healthcare providers as part of a multi-disciplinary approach
- Assist with outgoing referrals to other specialists, where appropriate, including dietitians, exercise physiologists, psychologists, bariatric surgeons and cardiologists
Our patients typically lose 1-2.5kg per week*
The Valita App
- Daily weight, mood and water intake tracking
- Two-way communication between you and your doctor
- Access to all of our resources and educational modules
- Recipes, dietary plans and an in-house exercise program
A Doctor on your side
Our services are delivered via ongoing one-on-one medical consultations with your bariatrician
In your initial consultation, we will:
- Determine the causes of your weight gain
- Perform a biometric analysis
- Order appropriate investigations
- Administer the most appropriate medical treatment option for you
in order for you to rapidly and safely achieve a healthy body weight.
I’ve tried to lose weight before and it hasn’t worked. How is this different?
As bariatric doctors, we understand the science behind body weight regulation and all the biological ways that the body will try to defend you against weight loss. We will show you how you can overcome these hormonal changes so that you can keep the weight off for life and keep hunger at bay.
We will administer a treatment plan that is suited t o your individual medical needs – there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Your doctor will be here to support you in the long-term and ready t o help you get back on track if you ever relapse in the future.
I have complex medical needs. Can I still access your care?
Yes! Our bariatricians are specially trained in obesity management and the management of weight-related conditions. We can adjust your treatment plan to suit your particular medical needs, consider your current medications and discuss with you whether appetite suppressant medications are appropriate for you.
Can I claim a Medicare rebate?
Absolutely! Our services attract a Medicare rebate, helping to make weight management care more accessible for our patients. You can find out more about our fees on our website.
Are Telehealth appointments available?
Yes, we love how convenient Telehealth appointments are for our patients! You can book i n a phone or video call consultation with our bariatric doctors and receive the same excellent medical care as you would in person. (Note: in order to receive a Medicare rebate for Telehealth appointments, you need to have had an in-person visit with us in the last 12 months first).